I came across this startling and stunning article today: https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/06/14/maine-compass-four-good-reasons-to-stop-eating-animals/
There used to be 3 really good reasons to give up meat:
1. It’s bad for your health. This is something that has been researched in many laboratory studies and the medical records also don’t lie. Heart disease, cancer, strokes, and many more meat-consumed ailments and illnesses have shortened the lifespan of those who eat meat.
2. Factory farms are brutal and inhumane windowless warehouses where 99% of meat consumed by humans comes from. I am always telling people to watch, MEET YOUR MEAT, because that is what did it for me, and it just might do it for you, too: https://www.peta.org/videos/meet-your-meat/
3. It is destroying our environment. We’re talking global greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, biodiversity loss, water pollution….do you need me to go on?
Turns out there is a 4th reason, and this is the newest (and it ain’t just COVID-related):
4. In less than 20 years, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), H1N1 swine flu, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), not to mention COVID, are all viruses that jumped from the animals we eat to humans, and then between humans, with cases multiplying disastrously in the world’s mobile population.
One, your health.
Two, the animals.
Three, the environment.
Four, the viruses.
If there is a 5th reason, I sure would like to know what it is. But if not, let the 4 be just about 1:
1. “Care about yourself, care about the animals, care about the planet, and care about others.”
If that doesn’t read like a “how-to-live-a-really-good-life” mission statement, I don’t know what does.
For 1. the people and 2. the animals and 3. the world that belong to 4. God (although God is NEVER 4th),
Timothy J. Verret